Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Don't Know Anything


The United States issues great passports. Each one has a lovely, glossy-golden opening page with an inspirational eagle on it and the Preamble to the Consitution written in blue italics. And it doesn't stop there! Every page is illustrated and numbered for easy access, with various patriotic quotes written above the blue and pink line drawings (there is even one of a bear eating a salmon! Nothing says "America" like bears and salmon.) If you have never had the opportunity to look at a U.S. passport, I highly recommend it to you. It will make you feel patriotic; I guarantee it.

Last night, I learned that I don't know anything about politics (I already knew this, actually. It was just reiterated.) My flatmates were talking about politics. Not just Irish politics, or United Kingdom politics, but English and French and American politics. I was very impressed; I sat there listening to them for an hour without saying anything because they all knew so much more than I did. Then we all pulled out our passports (Me too! I contributed!) and compared the British and Irish passports, trying to decide which was better (The Irish one. Because it has harps on it.) Mine was much admired, which is why I now have this new appreciation for it.

It sounds like the people of Northern Ireland get screwed over by Britain. They don't even get to vote. Pretty lame, right?

"Nothern Ireland is like the red-headed step-cousin of England."

That's what Stephen said. I liked it; it gave me a very clear picture of things.

On a different note, Irish men as a whole, regardless of age, are better dressed than American men. I have not seen a single pair of badly fitting jeans or New Balance shoes. Good job, Irish
men!

Oh, and that is not a picture of my personal passport. Because I am not a middle-aged man. Just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment