Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sheep and Such

There are a lot of sheep in Northern Ireland. In fact, they were the very first thing that I noticed when I arrived. There are so many sheep that I could see them from my window as the plane was landing. And then one the bus ride, I saw more! And more! I rode the bus from Belfast to Derry, and then got a taxi to my school, Magee College. It was the first time that I had ever ridden in a taxi, so I didn't know how to go about it exactly, and I didn't even know where on campus I was going. Fortunately for me, my taxi driver was nice to me and helped me find somewhere to go, even though I could only understand about half of what he was saying, and I kept having to ask him to repeat himself.

Thus began a day in which many, many things happened and I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to be doing most of the time. But, I did get a room in a flat with four Irish kids and a British girl. Huzzah! I went to bed my first night at about 8 o'clock and was horribly overwhelmed and felt terrible and cried (a lot), but then I woke up at 4 a.m. and listened to the people doing drunken (I'm assuming) karaoke on the football pitches in their sweet Irish accents, and I called home. And then I felt much better.

Summary of Wednesday: I got some classes and became and official student, was filmed for the pilot of a BBC game show, and I bought food. My food shopping pretty much consisted of me buying the most un-American sounding things that I could find, including such items as champ, wee soda bread (that's actually what the package says), and rhubarb flavored yogurt. Wrap-up: Wednesday was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment