Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bits and Pieces

Donegal is the part of the Republic that is closest to Derry. Before I got here, I thought that it was pronounced like this:
DON-uh-gull.
Not very interesting, right? But now I know that it is actually supposed to sound this way:
dawn-ee-GALL.
It is a very lovely and musical word, and every time that I hear someone say it, I get a little wave of happiness.

Last night, I went to a real Irish pub! With real Irish people! I have pictures to prove it! And I got some cider and listened to sweet music and felt like I belonged here.

I have learned an important lesson: pancakes in America are not the same as pancakes in Ireland/Britain. Keep this in mind if you are ever there. Pancakes here come in little pieces of plastic, and you stick them in the toaster and eat them for breakfast. They are not made from a bisquick mix on a griddle. Or you buy a small package and follow the instructions and make your own pancakes. But these pancakes are not really not pancakes; they are actually crepes. It is all quite confusing. Muffins are also not muffins. And scones are not of the Starbucks variety. They are like biscuits. In fact, they are biscuits. But over here, biscuits are cookies. And cookies are non-existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment