Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Don't Do This at Home

I never leave my flat without my umbrella. Ever since it has turned too cold to wear my raincoat, my umbrella is my constant companion and new best friend. It is made of clear plastic and has black and white trim around the bottom. It looks like I am wearing a jellyfish on my head when I have it open. I have never been an umbrella carrier before; even in Portland, where it rains all the time, I usually just brave the wetness, but here, I don't. Instead, I take my umbrella out with me and swing it jauntily as I walk.

Before now, I avoided malls like the plague. But I make an exception here. In fact, I probably go to the mall once a week. Or maybe twice a week. Perhaps even three times. Because they are Irish malls, not American malls. So they are obviously much better and more entertaining.

Actually, this is true. Everyone goes to the mall in Derry. It's the hip-happening place to be, especially on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone and their grandmother (and their small, screaming children) are at the mall. Not just the teenagers. Everyone. And I think that that is why I go there. It's great for people watching. It's also the absolute best place to go when I want to be around people, but not with people. At those times, I go to Starbucks in Foyleside shopping center, and I sit at the table in the middle (with the chessboard on it), and I write in my journal/ read a book/ spy on the people around me. Because it's an Irish Starbucks, not an American Starbucks. So it's obviously much better. And they serve fairtrade coffee. So there you go. I also have a teeny crush on one of the baristas (I have dubbed him 'Damian'). He is adorable. Actually, way too good-looking for me (but I don't actually know him, so it's fine).

I have gone to at least one movie a week for the past eight weeks. I even saw 'Couples Retreat' (shameful, I know). I never go to movies at home unless they cost $6 or less, or if they are cool, semi-indie films that are playing at Fox Tower. But here, they only cost four-and-a-half pounds! Which sounds cheap (I never convert back to dollars. I prefer to live in ignorance). And the candy is fantastic. And there aren't that many other things to do, except go bowling. Sidenote: Derry is home to the nicest bowling alley on the planet. It is awesome. There is an actual, real, Spaghetti-Factoryesque restaurant! Inside the bowling alley! What!?!.

2 comments:

  1. Megan this sounds amazing. I'm happy you're having such a great experience. It sounds like there is a lot to do over there.

    Here in Heidelberg I'm having fun exploring coffee shops and castles. And just yesterday I was thinking I wish I could go to a mall (no idea why...I don't really like malls) and now by reading your blog entry I think you have given me my mall-fix. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.

    What are blogs for, anyway?

    Glad to see you're having fun.

    Hate,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are funny! For some reason, I didn't realize all these blogs were posted until today. I was a little behind on my reading. Oh, but you are funny. But now you need to come home and live in my house with me for a short while and sit at SE coffee shops with me, where the baristas have attractive tattoos and lumberjack beards.

    ReplyDelete