Saturday, December 5, 2009

Things I Have Accomplished

Mr. C. Gore was the first person that I met when I got to University of Ulster-Magee. He is the man who works in the reception office and looks like a disgruntled Macy's elf. His job seems to consist of three things: creating poster about various housing issues (like the one by our vacuum cleaner that says DO NOT REMOVE THIS VACUUM FROM THE FLAT!), conducting random room inspections to make sure that we have not defaced our living space by using sellotape on the walls, and giving out mail. I'm not sure which of these jobs is his least favorite (he's pretty dour, so it's hard to tell), but I personally have done my part to make one of them his most favorite. At least I'd like to think so.

I check my mail a lot. Like every day. Sometimes twice. For the first two months of the semester, Mr. C. Gore refused to acknowledge the fact that I came into his office every day. Every single day. He stubbornly continued to ask my name, block number and flat letter every time I asked for my mail, even though he obviously knew who I was. He had to know. Because I came in every single day. Every single day. And each time that I came in, I told him my name, block number, and flat letter.

About three weeks ago, I went to the reception office to get my mail (as I am wont to do), and Mr. C. Gore didn't ask my name. Nope. Instead, he just started searching through the mail for things belonging to me. I still had to show him my school ID (you have to show it every time that you pick your mail up), but I figured that I was making progress.

Now with one week of school left to go, Mr. C. Gore and I get along just fine. We have even progressed to exchanging witty, mail-centric banter when I go into his office to get my post. He has put out some little chocolate oranges for students to take when they come in. I feel like I've made serious progress.

I threw a Christmas party (co-threw, actually.) And it was fabulous, in my opinion. There was a Christmas tree, and pretty lights, and a poinsetta, and eggnog and food (lots and lots), and there was...A CHRISTMAS CAKE! From Marks and Spencer! I bought it myself! And I put fake holly in my hair because if I can't do it at Christmas, when can I do it? It was the first Christmas party that I had ever done, and I was glad. Especially because both of my siblings are having Christmas parties in their new, awesome living spaces while I am not yet at home. So I was like, "Phss... whatever guys! I'll throw my own Christmas party! In Northern Ireland! Yeah!"

And I did.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Megan,

    We will have our own Christmas party with JTT when you get back. And then you can meet our Christmas tree, Sir Noble "Kyle" Fluff A Lot.

    ReplyDelete